The patties hold together pretty well during baking and on the bun too. You can serve these on fresh, soft wheat buns, with some simple garnish (e.g,, sliced tomato, red onion, mixed greens, spicy ketchup, yellow mustard).
2 cups cooked Black Beans (see below) - 1 cup measured; 1 cup mashed
2 bay leaves + olive oil + salt (for cooking beans)
1 cup cooked Red Quinoa (see below)
Vegetable stock + salt (for cooking quinoa)
1 cup plain bread crumbs (or ground rolled oats)
2 eggs, beaten
2 large shallots, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup carrots, brunoise cut
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
Sea salt to taste
8 soft wheat buns
Suggested Garnish: Spicy ketchup, yellow mustard, thinly sliced red onion, tomato slice, mixed greens
- Soak the beans overnight (1 lb black beans + 6 cups water)
- Drain and rinse beans
- Cook with 6 cups water + 2 bay leaves + 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour
- Add salt (1 teaspoon) halfway through cooking time.
- Drain beans (season to taste at end of cooking).
- Use 2 cups beans for this recipe (1 cup measured; 1 cup mashed)
- ½ cup red quinoa + 1 cups vegetable stock + ½ teaspoon salt = 1½ cups cooked red quinoa
- Cook per package instructions
- Used 1 cup red quinoa for this recipe
- Add olive oil, shallots, carrots and a pinch of salt to pan on medium-low heat.
- Sweat shallots until translucent and soft; carrots until soft.
- Add garlic and sweat for about a minute or two.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- Stir together all ingredients, except for the beaten eggs. Season to taste with salt.
- Add beaten eggs and stir to combine
- Form mixture into 8 patties (½ inch thick; 3½ inch diameter) and place on baking sheet with Silpat.
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Bake for total of 30 minutes; flipping patties half way through baking.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.