1 15-oz. can black beans, drained
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup unsalted vegetable stock (divided)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
Kosher salt or Sea salt, to taste
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Cilantro leaves, for garnish
YIELD: 2 servings
- Dice the onions and bell peppers, mince the garlic.
- Add olive oil to a hot pan over medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add chopped onions and bell pepper, season with a bit of salt and cook over medium heat for a several minutes, stirring occasionally until onions and peppers start to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup vegetable stock and cook until it is absorbed by the vegetables and evaporates.
- Add cumin and chili powder, stir and cook for a minute or two.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup vegetable stock and black beans. Season to taste with more salt. Simmer uncovered for a few minutes until beans are heated through.
- Remove from heat, stir in chopped cilantro.
- Divide among two bowls, add a dollop of yogurt (e.g., Greek) or sour cream, and garnish with a few cilantro leaves.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!